Many abandoned homes become shadows of their former selves, but not this remarkable Japanese empty house. Every year after the summer, when the leaves of the vines that have slowly crept up the sides burst into beautiful rich colors, it comes into its own.
Dobele, Latvia, towering abandoned house
Even though it is surrounded by greenery and located under sunny skies, this eerie-looking abandoned home in the town of Dobele cannot be cheered up. The tall house has no windows, crumbling foundations, and creaking shutters befitting a haunted house.
Hull, UK, derelict house
This abandoned house in Hull, UK, has seen better days, with boarded-up windows, crumbling walls, and peeling paint. Its bright exterior may make passersby smile during the day, but the derelict house will make even the bravest of passersby wary of ghosts in the evening.
Brooksville Treehouse, Brooksville, Florida, USA
If you had a treehouse as a child, it was most likely a small wooden box perched in a tree in your backyard. But this incredible treehouse takes the cake: the massive home, complete with kitchens, bedrooms, and bathrooms, was built in the 1980s by a wealthy Florida industrialist for his grandchildren. The dilapidated treehouse has become an eerie shadow of its former self and a sad reminder of what once was since his death in the early 2000s.
Home with Greek Revival Style in Alabama, USA
This eerie Greek Revival home, photographed by Leland Kent of Abandoned Southeast, conceals a haunting secret within its crumbling walls. The abandoned Alabama mansion once housed a family funeral business before being destroyed by two storms that exposed it to the elements. Even creepier, some of the rooms are still strewn with coffins and undertaker’s tools…
Vienne, France: Château de la Mothe-Chandeniers
This magnificent château dates back to the 13th century, but time has not been kind to the abandoned stately home. Today, it stands as a derelict shell, crippled by devastating fires and severely damaged during the French Revolution, but it may fare better than the others on this list: a crowdfunding campaign has raised funds to restore the castle to its former glory.
Phatthalung, Thailand, dilapidated river house
This abandoned river house in Thailand may appear idyllic at first glance, but it is far from it. Long neglected, its walls are crumbling, the roof is collapsing, and the ground beneath it is slowly being swallowed up by the water.
Dunedin, New Zealand student rental property
Imagine a scary movie with a bunch of students, a terrifying ghoul, and a rundown student property, and you’ll be able to picture the setting: this abandoned property in Dunedin, New Zealand. The childlike graffiti on the exterior adds to the forlorn atmosphere: this is one house you’d want to avoid at all costs.
Devon’s Georgian parsonage
Although this seven-bedroom Georgian parsonage is set in five acres of countryside, it is not a place where you would want to retire. The walls are crumbling, and both the interior and exterior have a decidedly spooky atmosphere, with overgrown plant life decorating the walls and an unsettling silence permeating the property.
Holland Island in Maryland was once five miles long and home to hundreds of residents and over 60 residential properties before being forced to relocate in the 1920s due to dramatic erosion and rising sea levels. This was the last surviving home on the island, desperately clinging to life and battling the sea before collapsing in 2010.
Vermont, USA, abandoned house
Stay away from this abandoned home in Vermont if unexplained noises and loud creaks bother you. Its shutters are straight out of a horror film, and it has been neglected to the point where vegetation has begun to creep up the sides of the house.
Darul Aman Palace is located in Kabul, Afghanistan.
What was once a magnificent neo-classical palace is now in ruins. Darul Aman Palace in Kabul was built in the early twentieth century, but its full potential was never realized due to decades of war and bloodshed. It now stands as an eerie shell and a reminder of what could have been.
Cheshire, UK, Derelict Old House
What appears to have been a large family home in Cheshire, UK, has now fallen into disrepair. The roof has caved in, the windows are boarded up, and there are debris piles all over the place. The eerie atmosphere of the ruins sends us running in the opposite direction.
Cabin in a Deserted Ghost Town in California, USA
Look no further than this cabin in Bodie, a gold-mining town that came to life in the late 1800s, for a home haunted by the past. However, after the initial boom, its population of nearly 10,000 people dwindled, and Bodie became an abandoned ghost town in the mid-20th century. You can walk through the desolate streets and visit houses like this one, which has been vacant for over a century.
Home in the forest, Central Sudetes, Poland
Wandering around a forest alone during the day may not seem scary, but come nightfall, it’s the last place you’d want to be, especially if you happen upon this mysterious wooden house with cobweb-laced windows. This remote wreck of a home, hidden in the middle of a protected nature reserve in the Owl Mountains, has a sinister air to it.
Miranda Château, Celles, Belgium
While it may appear to be a fairytale castle on the outside, this abandoned château has not had a happy ending. The medieval property was built in the nineteenth century and was occupied by the Nazis during WWII before being converted into an orphanage and summer camp. However, the crumbling palace became too expensive to maintain and was permanently closed in 1991, only to be destroyed by fire a few years later. Unfortunately, the grand home was demolished, but its iconic, eerie façade will never be forgotten.
Nothing gets our imaginations going like an abandoned house. These abandoned structures have witnessed history unfold and their crumbling walls are steeped in spine-chilling secrets. Would you be brave enough to approach these abandoned landmarks on a dark night? If you dare, click or scroll on to see some of the most terrifying empty houses from around the world…
Carleton Island villa is haunted in New York, USA.
This dilapidated villa on Carleton Island, New York, has not only been vacant since 1927, but it is also said to be haunted by the ghost of its former owner, typewriter entrepreneur William Wyckoff and his family. Wyckoff commissioned the expensive abandoned mansion in the 1890s, but he’s rumored to have died of a heart attack on his first night there, just a month after his wife died unexpectedly. Take what you will from that…
Georgia’s Pendleton-Graves House
This is one house we wouldn’t want to come across after dark. The original bones of the ornate Pendleton-Graves House in Sparta, Georgia, date back to the 1820s. The grand structure, with its turrets, cornicing, and elegant porch, was once a landmark home in the area, but it has long been abandoned to the elements and now makes a haunting sight.
Zemgale, Latvia, eerie woodland retreat
This eerie home in the Latvian town of Dobele, within the district of Zemgale, is enough to send shivers down your spine. The derelict wooden house, framed by gnarled trees, could easily serve as the setting for a horror film. It’s unclear how long the house has been abandoned, but given the broken windows and moss-covered roof, it appears to have been dormant for some time.
Kojori, Georgia, ornate villa
Despite its dilapidated state, it’s difficult not to be enchanted by this once-opulent Georgia home. We’d love to have seen this magnificent home in its heyday, from the exquisite porch gable to the diamond-tiled roof and intricate windows. Years of neglect have unfortunately taken their toll, leaving shattered glass and rotting woodwork behind. All that is left now is a haunting structure alone in a desolate clearing.
Utah, USA, weathered cabin
This haunting abandoned tiny home, once part of a small community of shacks and cabins used to house miners, has been left open to the elements. Outside the cabin, which is located in Utah and surrounded by rugged shrublands and mountains, rusted, bullet-riddled furniture, including a fridge, has been discarded. Could this be the site of a shootout?
Bikovo Manor is located in Lipetsk Oblast, Russia
According to the broken windows and crumbling brickwork, this empty brick mansion has been empty for decades. It was undoubtedly a magnificent residence in the distant past, with a tree-lined drive and grand pedimented façade. The derelict shell, now a shadow of its former self, looms out between the branches, more eerie than elegant.
Chernobyl, Ukraine, eerie mansion
Few places in the world are as haunting or heartbreaking as Chernobyl, the site of the 1986 nuclear disaster. The city was evacuated as a result of history’s most disastrous power plant accident, and entry is strictly regulated by the Ukrainian government. This abandoned mansion is just one of many dilapidated houses left in the toxic town, a lingering reminder of the thousands who have died since the disaster.
Sweden’s country cabin
This eerie house stands empty and deserted in the middle of the Swedish countryside after its owner mysteriously abandoned it. The rundown wooden house, surrounded by trees and located in a remote location, gives us the creeps – it’s far from an idyllic holiday retreat!
Kolmanskop, Namibia, sand-filled house
Kolmanskop, once a bustling diamond mining town, was abandoned in the 1950s as the precious gem supply began to dwindle. Despite the fact that Kolmanskop is now a ghost town, its former residents left behind some intriguing houses, including this desolate property. The site, which has been completely ravaged by sand, is now a tourist destination run by the world-famous diamond company De Beers and is used as a film location for TV, film, and fashion shoots.
California, USA, abandoned miner’s cabin
In the nineteenth century, Benton Hot Springs in California was a thriving mining town. However, as heavy industry declined, the town’s population shrank rapidly, and many homes, including this old miner’s cabin, were abandoned. After years of neglect, the creepy cabin has begun to crumble – one of many in this desert ghost town.
Bissingen Castle, built in the mid-nineteenth century, is a fairytale castle in ruins. It was once the residence of local nobility, but it is now a far cry from its regal heyday. While investors intended to turn the structure into a hotel, no progress has been made, and the grand estate remains dormant.
Transylvanian spooky house, Romania
This abandoned house in Transylvania, Romania, fits all of the creepy haunted house tropes. The steps are encrusted with moss, there are gaping holes where windows once stood, and the façade has crumbled to a jumble of materials as time has taken its toll.
DA Lt, Vietnam, ruined villa
It’s not difficult to imagine how luxurious this Vietnamese villa was once upon a time. The French developed à Lt as a resort in the early 1900s, and many vestiges of its colonial past remain. Despite its picturesque lake setting, the eerie home, with its bricked-up door and windows, is gradually crumbling.
Tallinn, Estonia, dilapidated old house
This abandoned house in Tallinn looks like it came straight out of a horror film and would require more than a fresh coat of paint to make it habitable again. The windows have shattered, there are structural issues, and the façade is covered in rotting wood, graffiti, and crumbling brickwork.
Hemsedal, Norway, tree-filled house
When this treehouse in Norway was abandoned, it took treehouses to a whole new level. Instead of the cozy rooms it once provided, it now houses a small forest of spruces that have forced their way through the roof. It’s unclear how they got there, as the area around the structure appears to be devoid of trees.
Tuscany, Italy, Villa Massoni
You might ask yourself the obvious question: why would you ever abandon such a regal residence in Tuscany, one of the most beautiful regions in the world? Whatever the answer, this dilapidated dream home has been uninhabited for decades and has gradually deteriorated.
History of Abandoned Anglo Meat Packing Plant in Uruguay
A company called ‘Anglo’ established a meat packing plant on the Uruguay River in 1899. It attracted workers from more than 50 countries. The factory (owned by Liebig at the time) was closed in 1979.
Its iconic corned beef cans became famous worldwide as symbols of the two wars, appearing in the films “Gallipoli” (in which cans of corned beef are shown in the middle of the First World War battle) and “The English Patient.”
Fray Bentos, located along the Uruguay River, is famous for being the manufacturing center for Fray Bentos corned beef and other meat products that fueled soldiers during the First and Second World Wars. The Frigorfico Anglo del Uruguay – better known in English as the Anglo Meat Packing Plant – is the factory behind the famous canned food.
The town of Fray Bentos, where the plant is located, became known as “The Great Kitchen of the World” for its meat products, and its products became essential to British soldiers during the war.
“Our products not only filled European stomachs; they also ended up getting into European hearts and minds,” Rene Boretto, director of the Museo de la Revolución Industrial, told the BBC. “During World War I, soldiers would say ‘Fray Bentos’ to indicate that something was good, similar to how we say OK today.”
Justus von Liebig, a German chemist, invented the bouillon cube in the nineteenth century. To capitalize on the product, he established Liebig’s Extract of Meat Co. and established a cattle processing plant in Uruguay with Georg Gieber, a Belgian engineer.
While von Liebig could have set up shop anywhere, he chose the location along the Uruguay River because it had its own harbor, allowing him to export his products cheaply and on his own schedule. Raising cattle in South America was also less expensive than in Germany.
The factory began producing corned beef under the name Fray Bentos in 1873, after the nearby town. The product was aimed at Europe’s working class and quickly became popular. In fact, there was such a high demand that the factory had to expand to accommodate the required number of workers.
Within a short time, the area surrounding the factory had its own cleaning and garbage services, brick houses, a school, a social club, and a hospital. They merged to form the “Barrio Anglo” along the Uruguay River’s edge, which became known as a city-within-a-city.
Today’s Anglo Meat Packing Plant
The location now houses the Industrial Revolution Museum, which displays old images of the facility and its original gear.
Marfrig, a Brazilian food manufacturer, established itself at Anglo Meat Packing Plant in 2008. It produced corned beef but lacked the rights to the Fray Bentos brand. The factory was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site seven years later.
A portion of a factory now houses the Museo de la Revolución Industrial, which displays artifacts from the factory’s heyday. These include original Fray Bentos cans, posters, delivery trucks, typewriters, firefighting equipment, and photographs of employees at work.
Because of the size of the factory, it also houses other businesses. One section, for example, has been taken over by a local university. The majority of the site, however, has remained largely unchanged since it was abandoned decades ago, displaying the wear and tear of disuse and disrepair.
This magnificent United Methodist Church is a rare example of Romanesque Revival architecture. The church was built in 1844 as a Greek Revival structure, but it was enlarged and a new façade was added in 1897.
Caldwell House was constructed in the 1770s and was owned by the Mure family until 1909. It was converted into an insane asylum in 1927 and remained so until 1985.
We love hearing about people’s adventures exploring abandoned places, so we were thrilled to hear from Lewis Neilson. On Twitter, he can be found at @neilson lewis. His account of Caldwell Residence in Uplawmoor, East Renfrewshire, Scotland, is below.
Caldwell House was a country estate designed by famous Scottish architect Robert Adam that was built in 1771. It was converted into a hospital for the treatment of children with mental illnesses in 1927 and remained in use until 1985, when it was closed.
Following this, it was purchased by a private owner who intended to convert the house and other buildings on the estate into a nursing home; however, this never materialized, and the main house burned down in suspicious circumstances in 1995.
The buildings deteriorated quickly, and after 15 years of exposure to the elements and local pikeys, the main structure is now a crumbling shell.
Caldwell House was constructed between 1770 and 1773, although the exact date is unknown. The house was built for the Mure family, one of East Renfrewshire’s wealthiest families. The estate was kept in the family until 1909.
3-story and basement symmetrical mansion house with a rectangular plan. 5-bay front entrance with later wide, projecting porch; 7-bay garden elevation; 3-bay side elevations NW later received a single-story wing and a laundry addition. Machicolated and crenellated parapet with distinctive pepper-pot angle bartizans.
Harled with ashlar dressings; ashlar porch; all window frames with label moulds; band course among ground and first floors. There is little original glazing left (originally 24-pane timber sash and case windows, attic 12-pane). Grey slate piend and valley roof, partially collapsed; ashlar stacks
Caldwell House was converted into a hospital for children with mental health problems by the Govan Health Board around 1927, and it remained so until 1985. During this time, new buildings were constructed, including the main boiler house and nurses’ quarters. The main staircase was also replaced with just an elevator shaft.
Following the hospital’s closure, the building was owned by a private individual with the intention of converting it into a care home for the elderly. However, this was never completed, and the building fell into disrepair. A major fire in 1995 destroyed the entire interior and caused extensive damage to the roof. As a result, the council stepped in and began work to make the house safe. To keep the building from collapsing, much of it had to be demolished or reinforced.
Caldwell House is now a hollow shell of what it once was, with no roof, bare walls, and only steel beams holding it together. Graffiti covers the walls, and local wildlife has taken refuge inside.
When I posted my pictures, a former boss of mine commented on one of them. It turns out that when she was born (1960s), she had a sister who’d been staying at the house at the time, back when it was a hospital, of course. Due to the sensitivity of the situation, I was unable to obtain much information, but her sister died inside the house.
My first thought was, “Wow, amazing, she has a real connection to the building.” Of course, she is devastated by her sister’s death, but now that she knows the construction is still standing, she intends to visit it and see where her sister lived. Isn’t that a great way to end the story? Reconnecting with the past.
It was a fun adventure, but the melting snow slowed us down and made the nursing home area very damp. It would be nice to return in better weather when the area has dried out a little.
The world is full of hauntingly beautiful empty and abandoned places, from desolate distilleries and shuttered prisons to ruinous holiday resorts and redundant industrial structures. Some derelict buildings, however, have been restored or repurposed. We look at some of the places where new life is emerging from ancient ruins.
Boston Massachusetts, USA, Charles Street Jail
The Charles Street Jail in Boston was constructed in 1851 at the foot of Beacon Hill to house the city’s criminals. The jail was large and innovative for the time, with architecture typical of the Boston Granite Style of the mid-nineteenth century, and a design that allowed for plenty of natural light and fresh air. However, over time, it became overcrowded and developed a reputation for poor living conditions, which resulted in a number of riots. It was eventually shut down.
The historic jail was abandoned and left derelict after the last prisoners were transferred there in 1990. Instead of being recognized as an architectural gem, the forlorn and forgotten institution became something of an eyesore in the gentrified Beacon Hill neighborhood. After being used for storage on and off for years, plans were put in place to restore the historic landmark and turn it into a smart hotel.
With its sensitive and striking restoration, the Liberty Guesthouse opened in 2007 to widespread acclaim. It’s now one of the city’s hottest hotels, with a restaurant called the Clink and historic catwalks that have been converted into balconies that run above its elegant lobby.
Rugen Germany Prora
This Baltic beach resort spanned an incredible 2.8 miles (4.5km) along a lagoon on the Baltic isle of Rügen, built between 1936 and 1939 in Nazi Germany. The eight massive holiday buildings that’s become known as the Colossus of Prora, a particularly striking example of Brutalist architecture during the Third Reich, were never used for their original purpose as a holiday resort for German workers.
When the Soviet Army took over, the complex was put to various uses before being sold by Germany to private developers in 1989, who left it to rot. While some areas remain deserted, work on repurposing areas of the vast complex as a residential development and holiday resort, including the world’s largest youth hostel, began in 2017. The state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern has also purchased a section to house a museum about the complex’s dark past.
Kupari, a now decreasing seaside resort, was an early pioneer in Croatia’s tourism industry. The Grand Hotel, the most impressive of the ruined resorts that line beautiful Upa Bay, was the first to open in 1920. More hotels were soon built around it, and the Kupari holiday village became a military retreat for the Yugoslav army’s elite in the 1960s. When Croatian independence was declared in 1991, its hotels and apartments were heavily bombed and abandoned.
For the past 30 years, Kupari has stood desolate and forgotten near the bustling port city of Dubrovnik. However, the haunting remains of the Grand Hotel Kupari (pictured), with its faded elegant façade and period details, have become a popular attraction for urban explorers.
This, however, will not last long: numerous investors have been linked to the prime piece of real estate over the years, and the dilapidated seaside village is finally set to be replaced by a new 5-star resort. Work is expected to begin in 2022, with all buildings except the heritage-protected Grand Hotel being demolished.
This German amusement park, originally known as Plänterwald, opened in 1967 and attracted 1.5 million visitors per year during its peak. It was renamed Spreepark after the Spree River that runs through it after the fall of the Berlin Wall, but decades after it opened, the park ran up millions of euros in debt and couldn’t renovate its rides. The attraction eventually fell into disrepair and has stood abandoned east of Berlin since its closure in 2002.
However, a new chapter in the park’s history has begun. Some of the park’s original rides, including its iconic Ferris wheel, are set to reopen as part of a major revitalization project that began in 2016. The wheel, shown here being dismantled in February 2021, is being resurrected and artistically redesigned for reinstallation in 2024.
Other abandoned structures are being renovated into cultural spaces and a restaurant. A large beer garden will also be located in the green space. The new Spreepark will open in stages beginning in 2022, with the entire park reopening to the public in 2026.
Cornwall’s Bodmin Jail
The old jail of Bodmin, looming on the edge of a foreboding Cornish moor, has sent shivers down the spines of passers-by since it was first built in 1779 by prisoners of the Napoleonic Wars. It served primarily as a debtor’s prison, with a wing later occupied by the Royal Navy for maritime crimes. Public executions were carried out here, with the last recorded hanging in 1909.
The Grade II-listed building has been mostly in ruins since the outdated jail was finally demolished in 1929. Until an investor recognized its potential and embarked on an ambitious project to convert it into a 70-room luxury hotel.
People are now paying top dollar to stay at the Bodmin Jail Hotel. The architects have preserved the old jail’s unique heritage while transforming it into a well-lit and welcoming place to stay with sophisticated and contemporary touches. The hotel’s airy stone-walled rooms were created by combining former cells. The old jail chapel has been converted into a delightful restaurant, and the Chapel Bar is housed in the old governor’s office. The Bodmin Jail Attraction is located next door for guests interested in learning more about the building’s dark history.
Dexamenes winery in Peloponnese, Greece
The Dexamenes Seaside Hotel is located on Kourouta Beach on the northwestern tip of the Peloponnese, with uninterrupted views of the Ionian Sea. It wasn’t always this way, though. Dexamenes has a remarkable industrial history that is reflected in its architecture. The modern hotel was built in an abandoned wine factory from the 1920s. Over 30 empty concrete tanks, such as the one shown, that once pumped wine directly onto waiting ships are now home to luxury breezy bedrooms with sea views.
The ramshackle wine factory was converted into this gorgeous beach-front boutique hotel by Athens-based k-studio after owner Nikos Karaflos realized a childhood dream to breathe new life into the decaying structures. They took great care to preserve its raw industrial beauty as well as its architectural heritage. Materials such as concrete, steel, wood, engineered glass, and reclaimed bricks all contribute to the hotel’s sensitive and eye-catching design.
Great Northern Hotel, London, United Kingdom
The Great Northern Hotel was London’s first purpose-built railway hotel, and a handsome one at that, when it opened in 1854 to cater to patrons of the Great Northern Railway Company. The Italianate building, designed by acclaimed Victorian architect Lewis Cubitt, had a distinctive tall, slender, and curved shape that quickly became a landmark in Kings Cross.
The historic hotel lay neglected and derelict for 12 years after it was closed by the Compass Group due to major developments at Kings Cross station. There were briefly plans to demolish it, but thankfully it was revitalized when a £40 million renovation transformed it back into a luxury hotel.
It reopened in 2013, with its curved shape incorporated into the station’s eye-catching new domed roof. From its spectacular windows to its ornate stair railings, the now Grade II-listed building contains sensitively restored original features and nods to its railway heritage.
There are Numerous Abandoned Locations which already Renovated all around the world. They seems to be abandoned as a result of various factors including improper maintain too.
Spain’s Canfranc International Railway Station
This grand station building is nestled high in the Pyrenees, right on the Spanish-French border. It was once hailed as among Europe’s most important rail hubs, providing an international link across the mountainous border, and it opened to widespread acclaim in 1928. Spanish royalty and the French president were present at the ceremony. It has been largely abandoned since the 1970s due to the Second World War, the Spanish Civil War, and a variety of other political and economic factors.
The government of Aragon has begun long-awaited plans to restore the France-to-Spain railway line and convert the elegant old railway hub into a luxury hotel. According to reports, work has finally begun on converting the long-abandoned site into a 5-star hotel operated by the Barceló Hotel Group. By 2026, the Canfranc line and station are expected to be fully operational.
Philadelphia, Wm. Mulherin’s Sons
A 19th century whiskey blending and bottling factory built in Philadelphia’s now trendy Fishtown neighborhood sat empty for several years before being transformed into one of the city’s hotspots by a major restoration project. Wm. Mulherin’s Sons, named after the original business owned by Irish entrepreneur and whiskey baron William J Mulherin, is a buzzy restaurant and boutique hotel located on the corner of Front and Master Streets.
Method Co., a Philadelphia-based design firm, took great care to preserve the architectural integrity of the old whiskey distilling factory while reinventing the space. Wm. Mulherin’s Sons, which opened in 2017, has two trendy restaurants – an urban Italian concept and a newly launched elevated Japanese restaurant – as well as four large loft-style rooms spread across three floors. A pulley system, arched windows, and exposed brick walls are all remnants of the building’s industrial past.
Oderberger Stadtbad, Berlin, Germany
In 1898, the Stadtbad Oderberger, a free public bath house, opened in Berlin’s Prenzlauer Berg district. Ludwig Hoffmann, architect and head of Berlin’s municipal planning and building control office, designed it as a place for the capital’s rapidly growing population to wash. Its side wings had 63 showers and bathtubs in addition to the central indoor swimming pool. After cracks appeared in the pool, the historic leisure center closed for good in 1986, and it sat empty until it was resurrected in 2016.
After a community campaign to save the building from neglect, private operators took over the listed building on Oderbergerstrasse. The restoration and transformation of the structure into a modern hotel with 70 rooms and two apartments began. The historic swimming pool has been restored to its former glory (with the addition of a spa) and remains central to the building; it is open to the public as well as hotel guests. Hotel Oderberger is a lovely spot to explore this central part of Berlin, with a great location, good restaurant, and many unique features.
Texas, USA: The Baker Hotel and Spa
The grand and opulent Baker Hotel first opened its doors in 1929 in Mineral Wells, Texas, a town that grew up around the area’s reputed healing waters. It attracted wealthy visitors such as Clark Gable, Judy Garland, and Lawrence Welk, who came to enjoy the spa resort’s bathhouses, drinking pavilions, and spas. The imposing 14-story hotel, designed by prominent Texas architect Wyatt C Hedrick, was groundbreaking, featuring the state’s first outdoor swimming pool and air-conditioning. However, as the town’s tourism numbers declined, the Baker closed in 1972 and has remained vacant ever since.
After several failed attempts to restore Mineral Wells’ beloved but long-neglected landmark – which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places – a major renovation project is now well underway. The new hotel, which is set to open in 2024, will include a luxury spa that will make use of the town’s famous mineral water. So far, all 997 original windows have been restored, and the Cloud Room, the top-floor ballroom, is being meticulously renovated. An on-site museum will also house items recovered during the hotel’s restoration and tell its story.
The small island of Inujima, located off the coast of Okayama in the Seto Inland Sea, was first used as a granite quarry before becoming an important smelting site in the early twentieth century, with a copper refinery built at its center. When copper prices fell just ten years after the refinery opened, it closed and many residents left the island. There are now fewer than 100 people left. Its distinctive smokestacks and crumbling brick structure had been left unused and vacant for nearly a century before being creatively repurposed into a one-of-a-kind art project.
The celebrated eco-gallery Inujima Seirensho Art Museum opened in 2008, built into and restoring the old industrial ruins. It is mostly underground and made of local materials like granite and discarded refinery bricks. Impressive art installations dot the walkable little island, which was left over from previous Setouchi Triennales, modern art festivals for which Inujima, along with dozens of other islands and islets in the Seto Inland Sea, is a venue. Various abandoned industrial structures on these islands have also been given new life through art.
Deventer’s Zwarte Silo, Netherlands
This architecturally striking silo has been sitting on the inner harbour of the Dutch city of Deventer that since 1920s. It was constructed to store grain. The forlorn and empty structure, once a hive of docklands activity, received an imaginative revival in 2015 when Dutch architects Wenink Holtkamp were commissioned to reimagine the site as a food hall. Once again, the waterfront is a hive of activity.
In addition to the large silo, the architects restored two adjacent low-lying brick warehouses that were previously used for salt storage to create the new venue, which now houses a food market, restaurant, and event spaces. The old silo’s authentic industrial character has been beautifully preserved in the revitalized De Zwarte Silo, while also incorporating striking new elements such as large steel-framed windows that allow diners to overlook the historic harbour.
For decades, Rank Hovis’s massive flour mill on the south bank of the River Tyne in Gateshead dominated the landscape. The Baltic Flour Mill employed around 300 people at its peak, and about 100 of them remained when the company decided to close the mill in 1981. The vast structure sat vacant for 20 years before being repurposed into a capacious contemporary art gallery, similar to the transformation of London’s former Bankside Power Station into the Tate Modern, with construction beginning in 1998.
The new £46 million BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art opened in 2002 in the converted flour mill and was one of the flagship buildings in the industrial city’s Gateshead Quays area. The contemporary art hub, which overlooks the new Gateshead Millennium Bridge, is spread across six floors and covers an impressive 32,291 square feet (3,000sqm). Its top-floor restaurant offers panoramic views of this redeveloped industrial zone.
Battersea Power Station, London, United Kingdom
Battersea Power Station, built in the 1930s in south-west London, once supplied a fifth of London’s electricity. However, the massive structure – Europe’s largest brick construction – sat derelict for decades after it was decommissioned in 1983. Few Londoners believed the Grade II-listed building would ever find a new lease on life after several ambitious (and sometimes outlandish) plans to transform the landmark fell through.
However, the brownfield site was purchased again in 2012, and a 13-year, £9 billion restoration and redevelopment project began in earnest. The first residents moved into the ultra-luxurious development this year, which also includes a new underground station, shops, cafés, restaurants, cultural venues, open spaces, and offices (including Apple’s UK headquarters). A viewing platform that will take visitors to the top of one of the power station’s striking chimneys in a glass life, a vast roof garden, and a concert venue are still in the works.
Cambodia’s Bokor Palace Hotel
Palace was built in the early 1920s as a mountain retreat for Europeans during Cambodia’s French occupation. It was abandoned by the French in the 1940s and then used as a stronghold by various political movements, including the Khmer Rouge, until it was left battered and forgotten in the early 1990s.
Sokha Hotels & Resorts painstakingly restored and reopened the historic hotel in 2018 as an elegant mountaintop retreat. It’s difficult to imagine the horrors that occurred here not so long ago, with plenty of trying to appeal period features, gorgeous grounds, and incredible views of rice fields and the Opal Coast from its perch on Mount Bokor.
An abandoned Buddhist temple that has been consumed by the Cambodian jungle.
Concerns have been raised about how the restoration will affect the natural environment.
Ta Prohm is a temple in Siem Reap, Cambodia, built primarily in the late 12th and early 13th centuries in the Bayon style east of Angkor Thom. The jungle surroundings and the plants growing out of the ruins have made it one of Angkor’s most popular temples with visitors.
It’s now known as Ta Prohm, but it was originally known as Rajavihara – the royal monastery – and was dedicated to the Buddhist personification of wisdom. But what interests me more than its construction is its current state: overrun by jungle. During the 500-odd years it was abandoned, strangler figs and silk cotton trees merged with the temple structures. I stood there stunned for a long time, filming its emptiness.
Many parts of the world have breathtaking old trees with unusual shapes and sizes that appear to be straight out of a fairy tale. The majestic giant known as the President in California is possibly the largest of the oldest trees, and the 1,000-year-old Angel Oak in South Carolina is the most beautiful due to its lush underground branches.
But, speaking of fairy tales, Cambodia has a “kingdom of the trees,” which is one of the most remarkable places on the planet. The abandoned Ta Prohm Temple in Angkor is embraced by the largest trees in the ancient city, so tightly that no tower or corridor on the site appears to be in danger of collapsing.
The temple is part of Angkor Wat, one of the world’s most magnificent structures. Originally a Hindu Temple, it was built by King Suryavaram II. It was converted into a Buddhist sanctuary in the middle of the 15th century.
Ta Prohm was built as a gift to his mother by King Jayavarman VII, and it was originally known as Rajavihara, which means “Monastery of the King.” According to legend, the king’s mother was buried in the temple, and her tomb was surrounded by four massive diamond-encrusted walls.
Ta Prohm is the Angkor complex’s largest structure. It is made up of several towers that are linked by passageways that lead into the monument’s heart. The passages are the only parts of the temple that have been made accessible to tourists; the rest of the structure has been left untouched.
In the center of the structure is a stone with a Sanskrit inscription that provides information about the construction and how many people and priests lived there. There are also figures for how many precious stones, diamonds, and gold were found in the temple, which some historians believe were exaggerated in order to glorify the king.
Relief carvings from the 12th century depict scenes from the life of the Buddha on some of the enclosures. One of them tells a story of Prince Vessantara from the Buddhist Jataka Stories, the story of Gautama Buddha’s previous life in which he gave up everything and abandoned his palace to live a life of meditation.
Many other reliefs and sculptures can be found in the Ta Prohm temple complex, but the majority of them were partially destroyed when King Jayavarman VIII accepted Shiva as the supreme god of Hinduism and converted to Shaivism. The temple was used as a filming location for the film Tomb Raider in 2001, and shortly after its release, it drew millions of visitors to see this magnificent place.
When Lara Croft (played by Angelina Jolie) picked up a jasmine flower, she was sucked beneath the old structure covered by its roots and was sucked beneath the old structure covered by its roots. It is known as The Tomb Raider Tree and is the most visited location in the temple.
As previously stated, because it is part of the Angkor complicated, the first building of the Ta Prohm Temple is not visible from the main road. The best way to get to this deserted tree kingdom is via a small path that leads to the lesser-used gates hidden deep within the Angkor forest.
Ta Prohm is without a doubt the most magical place on the planet, with its giant trees resembling the Ents from Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings books. It is regarded as one of the most enigmatic locations on the planet.
Ta Prohm is an entirely different site, and perhaps no country has experience restoring such a monument. While Mr Grover mentions “structural repairs and restoration of the fallen temples and other components,” such intervention may be difficult to achieve.
Early in the day, the temple is at its most impressive. Allow up to two hours for your visit, especially if you want to discover the maze-like corridors and famous tree roots.
Gary Indiana, USA, was once a prosperous steel town, but overseas competition and industry restructuring resulted in a population loss of 55% since its peak in the 1960s. Much of the city has been abandoned, and it is plagued by major social issues such as poverty and ghettoization. It is estimated that one-third of the city’s properties are vacant.
There’s something enthralling about places that used to be. There’s a strange but beautiful magic to wandering the halls of a dilapidated and decaying structure and imagining the days when the place was once alive.
Gary Indiana was once a steel industry mecca in the 1960s. But, after half a century, it has degenerated into a desolate ghost town.
In 1906, the United States Steel Corporation established the city of Gary, Illinois, just 25 miles (40 kilometers) from downtown Chicago. The Gary Works on Lake Michigan’s shore was the world’s largest steel mill, and the city was built to serve it. Elbert Henry Gary, the founding chairman of the United States Steel Corporation, was the inspiration for the city’s name.
The steel works drove the city’s steady growth. The city was at the center of the 1919 steel strike, and on October 4, that year, a riot broke out in downtown Gary between striking steel workers and those brought in to work in their place. Indiana Governor James P. Goodrich declared martial law, and the army was called in to restore order.
When Richard G. Hatcher was elected mayor of Gary in 1967, he became one of the country’s first African-American mayors. This was a turbulent period in the civil rights movement, and Gary, with a population of around 50% African-American, was frequently the site of racial tension and violence. Hatcher shared the stage with Martin Luther King, Robert F. Kennedy, Jesse Jackson, and other historic civil rights leaders. In 1972, he was instrumental in bringing the historic National Black Political Convention to Gary.
Prior to desegregation, the Midtown neighborhood just south of Downtown housed 97 percent of Gary’s African-American population. Because blacks were largely excluded from Downtown Gary, it was a largely self-contained community. When Richard Hatcher became mayor, he embarked on an urban renewal program for Midtown and encouraged minorities to move to other parts of the city.
By the year 2000, Gary had the highest percentage of African-Americans of any city with a population of more than 100,000 people in the United States. African-Americans made up 84 percent of the population. Since then, the population has steadily declined, and it is now estimated to number around 70,000 people. Gary, like other Rust Belt cities, is plagued by unemployment, crime, social problems, and deteriorating infrastructure.
Steel’s Recession of Gary Indiana
Gary was dubbed the “city of the century” in 1970, with 32,000 steelworkers and 175,415 residents. Residents had no idea that the new decade would herald the beginning of the end of American steel — as well as their town.
A number of factors contributed to the steel industry’s demise, including increased competition from foreign steel manufacturers in other countries. Steel industry technological advancements, particularly automation, also played a role.
The first round of layoffs in Gary occurred in 1971, when tens of thousands of factory workers were laid off.
By the end of the 1980s, mills in Northern Indiana, including Gary, were producing roughly a quarter of all steel produced in the United States.
Despite this, the number of steelworkers in Gary has decreased from 32,000 in 1970 to 7,000 in 2005. As a result, the city’s population fell from 175,415 in 1970 to less than 100,000 in the same time period, as many residents left town to find work.
As businesses closed and crime increased, job opportunities vanished. By the early 1990s, Gary had been dubbed the “Murder Capital” of America rather than the “Magic City.”
Racial Segregation and Gary’s Decline
Dissecting Gary’s economic decline is inextricably linked to the town’s long history of racial segregation. Many of the town’s early newcomers were white European immigrants.
Some African Americans migrated from the Deep South to escape Jim Crow laws, but conditions in Gary were not much better for them. Due to discrimination, black workers were frequently marginalized and isolated.
Currently, approximately 81 percent of Gary’s population is black. Unlike their white counterparts, the town’s African American workers faced uphill battles while attempting to build a better life during Gary’s decline.
Squatters have taken up residence in some of Gary’s abandoned properties.
Gary has effectively devolved into a ghost town. Schools have been closed, businesses have gone out of business, and homes have gone into disrepair. In terms of population loss in the Rust Belt since the turn of the century, it ranks second only to Detroit.
Fort Armistead was built as a Coastal Defense Base Between 1897 and 1901. When the United States entered World War I in 1917, the majority of the artillery was removed from the base and sent overseas. After the war, the base was eventually closed down.
There are numerous abandoned military bases in the United States, particularly in Maryland. It was one of the original 13 colonies and was located on the East Coast, making it an ideal location for establishing a military presence. Fort Armistead, located in Baltimore’s Hawkins Point neighborhood, was one of these installations.
A coastal defense fort on Maryland’s coast
Fort Armistead was built as part of the Endicott Program, which also included the construction of Fort Smallwood, Fort Howard, and Fort Carroll. Major George Armistead, commander of Fort McHenry during the Fight of Baltimore during the War of 1812, was honored with the fort’s name.
The battle was the inspiration for Francis Scott Key’s poem “The Star-Spangled Banner,” which was set to music and designated as America’s national anthem in 1931. Defenders Day is also observed annually by the city of Baltimore, the county, and the state of Maryland.
Fort Armistead consisted of four gun batteries. One was Power supply Winchester, named after James Winchester, a Revolutionary War and War of 1812 veteran. It was armed with a 12-inch M1888 vanishing gun. Battery McFarland, named after Army officer Daniel McFarland, who was killed in action during the War of 1812, was also present. It was outfitted with three of the same guns as Battery Winchester.
Battery Irons, named after Joseph Irons, who was killed during the Mexican-American War, was added to ensure the rapid deployment of weapons along the East Coast after the Spanish-American War broke out in 1898. It was armed with two 4.72-inch.45-caliber Armstrong guns mounted on pedestals. Battery Mudge, named after Robert R. Mudge, who was killed fighting the Seminoles, was armed with two three-inch M1898 guns mounted on masking parapet mounts.
During World War I, the fort’s weapons are used.
Battery Irons was decommissioned in 1913, and its guns were sent to Fort Ruger in Hawaii.
When the United States entered World War I throughout 1917, the majority of the artillery stationed at Fort Armistead was moved to the Western Front for possible use. However, the vast majority of the weapons were never shipped abroad.
In addition to the intention of using the weapons in Europe, others were removed for use in the United States. The 12-inch gun from Battery Winchester was sent to Fort Wadsworth on Staten Island to replace one that had been sent to the railway artillery program, while the guns from Battery McFarland were removed for possible use as railway artillery.
In 1923, the US Military and the Dept of War declared the fort surplus, and the property was transferred to Baltimore’s Department of Recreation and Parks five years later. It was in the possession of the department until World War II, when it was temporarily taken over by the US Navy for use as an ammunition storage site.
The last time weaponry was stationed at Fort Armistead was between 1952 and 1954, when a four-gun 90 mm anti-aircraft battery was stationed there.
Fort Armistead has been transformed into a public park. The Outer Harbor Crossing was built high above Baltimore’s Hawkins Point neighborhood between 1975 and 1977. It now towers over Fort Armistead and the surrounding area, carrying Interstate 695, also known as the Baltimore Beltway, over the Patapsco Harbor.
The majority of the firearms stationed in the Baltimore area were detached between 1917 and 1918 and were never remounted after the war.
Use after WWI.
Fort Armistead was decommissioned in 1920, following the end of World War I. As part of the US military’s withdrawal of the guns, the 3-inch M1898 guns based at Battery Mudge were scrapped at this time.
Fort Armistead was converted into a public park after it was no longer needed for the war effort, and visitors can now walk through its grounds and fish in the waters along its border. Unfortunately, the park has not been well-maintained, with trash and debris strewn about and the gates that blocked access to the interior of the fort having been removed. Graffiti adorns the majority of the concrete walls and tunnels as well.
Be Prepared Before You Go
As an active park, there is plenty of cars parked and several distinct trails that lead directly to the base from the parking lot.
Read another article about : Fort Ord: An Ex-Army Base on the California Coast
When Abby and Trey Brothers were looking for a new home, they had no idea they’d end up renovating an old, derelict mansion. They’ve transformed a dilapidated building into a charming family home in just over three years since they first laid eyes on their new passion project. To see the amazing transformation, click or scroll down…
Locating the listing
Abby discovered the house by chance on Zillow in April 2018, while house-hunting in her native North Carolina. The house was listed for sale in 2017, having previously been owned by a businessman who intended to turn it into an events venue. The couple drove eight hours from their home in Maryland to see it, and it was love at first sight.
Taking a risk
“I pulled up and thought, ‘that’s the house, that’s ours,'” Trey says, explaining that he had never wanted to buy a fixer-upper. Abby and Trey paid $155,000 (£110k) for the mansion in July 2018. “Through the windows, the couple caught a glimpse of the grand staircase, which was the final selling point, and they decided to make the big move from their three-bedroom home in Maryland back to where Abby grew up.”
Entering the house
The Page Mansion in Aberdeen, Moore County, had been left open to the elements before the couple moved in, as seen here in 2018. “It was so overgrown that you couldn’t get into the house,” Abby explains. With grass as tall as Trey, the previous owner had carved out a small path to the home’s entrance, but the house needed some serious work.
The Page Family
The abandoned mansion was built for the Page family in 1913. Allison Francis ‘Frank’ Page established a lumber mill on Devil’s Gut Creek, later known as Aberdeen Creek, in 1880. Under Page’s leadership, the local economy thrived as he built homes for several of his neighbors. He also built a home for his family, which became known locally as the Page-Wilder house and, later, the Page Mansion.
Previously: the exterior
While bringing the dilapidated building back to life was no easy task, the benefits were obvious. When the couple discovered the house, it was hidden behind bushes and greenery so dense that it couldn’t even be seen from the road. Nature had completely taken over and breached the main structure.
The old brickwork had also deteriorated over time. The house, which was about to be condemned, needed some serious TLC. “Pretty much the entire exterior was cracked or broken away,” Trey says. This required the exterior to be restored, as well as the chimney to be reset. Hiring professionals, they had to essentially rebuild the chimney because the mortar had crumbled away, making it the most difficult job outside.
After : the exterior
The exterior is now unrecognizable. A sweeping gravel driveway has replaced the rubble and dirt. Set on eight acres of land, the couple has a long way to go before completing work on the grounds, and they plan to clear more land around an ancient willow oak tree that is currently surrounded by overgrowth.
Insulation was in short supply in the Page Mansion, as it is in all old buildings. It was a must-have for the couple because it was a true brick home with no insulation. “By adding insulation and then drywall on top, we lost square footage,” Abby explains. However, with over 6,000 square feet of living space, there is still plenty of room!
Previously: the porch
Before moving in, the couple spent nine months renovating the house and were effectively homeless. “We actually lived with my dad for a little while while we were selling our house in Maryland because we were selling one and renovating another,” Abby explains.
One of the more difficult tasks was rebuilding the front porch. The porch buckled under the weight of snow after a massive snowstorm in the early 2000s. Abby and Trey decided to knock it down and start over when it was on the verge of collapsing.
After: the porch
They decided to rebuild it like-for-like in order to maintain as much of the original style as possible. “It’s exactly the same, just lighter and built to today’s engineering standards,” Abby explains. It’s the ideal relaxing spot for the couple, who have just welcomed their first child, and is outfitted with a cosy swing bench that looks out over the newly gravelled driveway.
Before: the corridor
The entrance to the mansion was the one thing Abby and Trey didn’t have to change much. “It’s the wow-factor for everyone who comes to visit,” Abby says of one of their favorite spots in the house. They walk through the front door and comment on how lovely it is, and I (also) comment on how lovely it is whenever I walk in.”
The first step was to find someone to assist with the more difficult aspects of the renovation. “If there’s something we can do on our own, we do it, but if there’s something we can’t do, we’re not going to try it – especially since it’s our forever home,” Abby explains.
After that: the corridor
Because of North Carolina building codes, the staircase layout had to remain exactly the same, or Abby and Trey would have had to install a completely new set of stairs. “People change over time, and people were shorter in 1913.” “The railing is too low to meet today’s standards, and standing next to it makes you realize how low it is,” Abby says.
One project they could do on their own was to spruce up the wainscoting in the hallway. The previously tired paneling was brought back to life with a fresh coat of white paint, giving the hallway a fresh new look.
The Down Stairs Toilet
Before: the downstairs toilet
The couple still finds traces of the past in their home, which is rich in history. When they first moved in, there was a small telephone closet hidden beneath the grand staircase, and phone numbers from decades ago were scribbled on the walls.
After: the downstairs toilet
Taking advantage of the available space, the couple decided to convert the secret room into a downstairs toilet for guests. The space, which has been painted red as a nod to its previous use, means that any guests will not have to use the bathroom in their master suite.
The Dining Room
Before: the dining room
When the couple first bought the house, it needed work inside and out, and no room had been left untouched by years of neglect. The damp had caused the wallpaper to peel, and it appeared as if someone had left in a hurry, with cups strewn on the dining room table.
After that: the dining room
Abby and Trey decided they wanted a more modern layout downstairs, which was closed off from the rest of the house. They made the decision to knock down walls and connect the dining room and kitchen. The fireplace, one of three in the house, is one of the original elements that have been preserved.
Before: the research
What is it now? The previous owner had left the study in disarray. It was covered in dirt and needed a complete overhaul. It was time for an upgrade with no air conditioning and exposed plumbing.
Following: the research
The research has been completely redesigned. Because the plumbing throughout the house was updated, it was left exposed in the study, so a brand new decorative tray ceiling hides any exposed pipes. They had the sofa reupholstered after discovering that it was made in 1873 in New Hampshire, as they were always looking to repurpose old items they found in the house when they arrived.
The space, which is painted in a bright ochre yellow, is one of the house’s less-used but most stylish rooms. The cabinet doors were moved from the laundry room to the new built-in cabinets that line the wall and conceal the new air conditioning unit.
Previously: the living room
This image from the listing depicts the living room prior to its transformation. One of the easier spaces to clean, the walls required some TLC due to nature’s intrusion, and the floors required polishing.
Following that is the new living room.
It’s now decorated in a chic navy blue and is ideal for a growing family. The restoration of their forever home is an ongoing project for Abby and Trey, who are open to trying new ideas to see what works. “We’re going to pick out new paint for the living room,” Abby says.
Previously: the kitchen
Abby and Trey knew they wanted to make changes in the kitchen. They wanted an open-plan room where they could spend time as a family, so it was made up of a number of small rooms such as the dining room, pantry, and kitchen. After years of neglect, the old kitchen was also sinking into the basement.
Following that: the new one
The kitchen is now a modern delight and one of the couple’s favorite rooms in the house. The couple attempted to stick to a budget throughout the project. Rather than granite or marble worktops, they chose concrete, which Trey cast himself for around $300 (£212). The house is now valued at just under $1 million (£700,000).
Abby and Trey, who are always looking for quirky and decorative ideas for their home, decided to put their knife block on the shelf and create this fun storage hack for their utensils, which they shared on their Instagram account.
With a small utility and pantry area, the couple knocked down only two walls to open up the space and added a new wall in the middle for a separate pantry. “I think the first time I walked in there with all the walls down, I thought it was the size of a football field,” Abby says.
After: the laundry room
The laundry room has been transformed into a functional space, thanks to Abby’s Pinterest ideas and inspiration. What was once a small kitchen area has been transformed into a contemporary pantry.
Previously: the bedrooms
The bedrooms were unlivable prior to renovations. The master bedroom, which Abby described as a time capsule, had tonnes of rubble piled up, while the guest bedroom had a huge hole in the floor that needed to be repaired. One of the most rewarding aspects of the renovation for the couple has been meeting people who used to live in the house, including an elderly woman who recognized her initials scrawled on one of the bedrooms.
After the bedrooms
The bedrooms are now ideal places to unwind after extensive renovations, but it wasn’t all plain sailing. Following one of many hurricanes, Abby and Trey stood in the guest bedroom, watching a torrent of water pour down the hole and into the previously unstable basement, which had recently been fitted with new joists. “I just remember feeling so defeated after we had put in so much effort,” Abby recalls.
The Rest Rooms
Prior to that: the bathrooms
Before Abby and Trey got their hands on them, the bathrooms were in bad shape. This Jack and Jill bathroom has been completely transformed, with the goal of reusing the old baths and fixtures.
Following that, the new bathrooms
The décor is unrecognizable, and the bathroom feels like a brand new space, thanks to the help of family and friends. The next task is to repair the floor tiles!
Abby and Trey are still working on the house and have caught the fixer-upper bug. “Ultimately, we want to find another location and do the same thing,” Abby says. We can’t wait to see what they come up with next!
Viral Eye is a destination for professional website publish that specializes in providing top-notch content, which includes: abandoned stuffs over the world that you never seen before.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org